Friday, March 5, 2010

Problems starting Dimdim 4.5 Open Source

When trying to install Dimdim 4.5 CentOS RPM on my CentOS 5.4 server, I had to modify several files to get things to work in addition to the standard installation instructions.

Problem:
Starting dimdim displayed several errors when starting up. It would work just fine except for sharing documents. This always produced the error: 'The document conversion failed with error: document id generation failed.'. Looking closer to the start up errors and doing some google searching I finally figured out how to get documents to upload and display.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/dimdim/Mediaserver/mods/interface.py", line 7, in
from document_manager.slidedeck import CSlidedeck
File "/usr/local/dimdim-4.5/Mediaserver/mods/document_manager/slidedeck.py", line 22, in
from engine import exportEngine
File "/usr/local/dimdim-4.5/Mediaserver/mods/document_manager/engine.py", line 34, in
import uno
File "/opt/meeting/lib/python2.5/uno.py", line 33, in
import pyuno
SystemError: dynamic module not initialized properly
Solution:
Revert my openoffice 3.1 back to openoffice 3.0. Significant changes between the version of open office cause issues with calling required modules. You can use yum to remove the current openoffice rpm (will be several rpms).

You can find the rpm for open office 3.0 here.

You will need to gunzip and tar the file to unpack it. Once you have done that you can follow the directions here to install them.

Restart dimdim.

2 comments:

Trideep said...

Shadetyler-

Thanks for sharing the solution for the problems you faced while installing Dimdim 4.5 on CentOS!

Thanks,
~T
Trideep | Dimdim
e: trideep@dimdim.com
twitter: @dimdim | facebook: http://dimdim.com/facebook

Michel said...

I encountered the same error as you did on my CentOS 5.5 & OpenOffice 3.2.1:

SystemError: dynamic module not initialized

Nothing found by googling worked.

OpenOffice though had been working all right until recently. I was using uno/pyuno for converting odt documents to pdf. I'm using pyodconverter

Recently it stopped working. I traced the problem to openoffice.org-ure being installed on /usr/lib when openoffice was installed on /opt. I guess this happened because of an update on openoffice.org-ure from version 1.6 to 3.1. Version 3.1 is known to be incompatible with OpenOffice 3.2.

So I solved the problem by:

1- Removing all OpenOffice related packages, including openoffice.org-ure in the incorrect version (3.1)
2- Reinstalling OpenOffice on /usr/lib which seems to be the expected directory
3- Blocking openoffice.org-ure updated as described here

Hope this helps !

Michel